Tuesday 6 April 2010

A web-radio plasmoid for your desktop

Since I am in Limerick, Ireland, I started to listen quite a lot to RTÉ 2XM, which is a great web-radio station of the public broadcasting service in Ireland (Click for webstream).

RTÉ has a quite nice applet for the Windows Vista or Windows 7 sidebar. Unfortunately, the do not yet offer one for KDE and Plasma. Instead of waiting for the applet, I wrote a little web-radio applet by myself yesterday.



The plamoid has a simple list of radio stations and a play and a stop button. Easy, isn't it? Of course you can configure the list of stations. If you download and install it, it comes preconfigured with all the RTÉ stations and my favourite Austrian station FM4.



You can download the plasmoid from here: http://krename.sourceforge.net/data/plasmaradio-0.1.tar.gz.

To install the plasmoid, follow the following steps after downloading it:

tar xvfz plasmaradio-0.1.tar.gz
cd plasmaradio-0.1
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIRS ..
make
make install


I would be happy to receive some feedback on this little piece of code. By the way, I think it really shows what great stuff can be done in so little time using the KDE4 API.

9 comments:

Andrea Cimino said...

Very nice idea!
Why don`t you submit the plasmoid in kde-apps?
Would be nice also if the plasmoid
could be written in a scripted language, so that it could be installed with a click in the GetHostStuff list.

Cheers,
Andrea

Unknown said...

I did something similar, maybe even a little bit more minimalist a while back in python [1]. For me it doesn't work anymore in 4.4, and I was thinking about redoing it in JavaScript but haven't gotten around to it in quite some time, so it's nice that you took the time to do this. Anyway, I can't test this right now, but I was curious how you manage constrained layouts, like in a panel. I actually wrote my plasmoid because I wanted something unobtrusive in my panel so I wouldn't have to go to the dashboard/desktop all the time. So basically my UI was only one singular start/stop button, with some right-click menus. I think something with your layout on the desktop and mine in a panel could work pretty well for a lot of people. So, maybe it's something to think about, if you like the Idea...


[1] http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/SimpleStream?content=112825

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Excellent!

We wrote (translate) this news on kdesktop.org (Russia) on your widget plasmaradio

Unknown said...

Hi there, I just downloaded it and when compiling I have some errors related with phonon includes, to fix it I renamed in plasmaradio.{h,cpp} phonon/Global to phonon/globalconfig.h, phonon/AudioOutput to phonon/audiooutput.h and phonon/MediaObject to phonon/mediaobject.h and now it compiles. I'm an Archlinux user, anyone had the same trouble while compiling or I have something not well configured in my system ?

Abner Silva said...

Nice work. Would be nice if you could place it at kde svn or provide as a newhotstuff. Congrats!

Unknown said...

I had some issues compiling as well. I changed phonon to Phonon in the instances you mentioned, then it worked for me. I'm using Arch with kdemod.

josepfebrer said...

It could be even cooler if it could fit in a panel.

Thank you.

My Family said...

However, 33-year-old Drogba is believed to want two more years with a view to hanging up his boots at the Premier League club.mmtangkas Uncertainty has surrounded his future since the £50million arrival of Fernando Torres from Liverpool in January,ผลบอล with the hitman no longer guaranteed a starting spot in manager Andre Villas-Boas' line-up.

uknowme said...

It could be even cooler if it could fit in a panel.

Thank you
flat screen tvs

ao vivo